GENERAL ENQUIRIES: Tel: + 27 12 841 2911 | Email: callcentre@csir.co.za

Show simple item record

dc.contributor.author Ragoasha, Matsubu V
dc.contributor.author Maritz, J
dc.contributor.author Cooper, Antony K
dc.date.accessioned 2018-12-20T12:46:41Z
dc.date.available 2018-12-20T12:46:41Z
dc.date.issued 2018-09
dc.identifier.citation Ragoasha, M.V., Maritz, J. and Cooper, A.K. 2018. Geospatial accessibility analysis of primary health care clinics in the Mbizana local municipality in the Eastern Cape. Proceedings of the AfricaGEO 2018 Conference, 17-19 September 2018, Emperors' Palace, Johannesburg, South Africa en_US
dc.identifier.isbn 978-0-620-80873-6
dc.identifier.uri http://africageoproceedings.org.za/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/650-XXXX-1-final.pdf
dc.identifier.uri http://www.africageoproceedings.org.za/academic-papers-2018/
dc.identifier.uri http://hdl.handle.net/10204/10597
dc.description Paper published in Proceedings of the AfricaGEO 2018 Conference, 17-19 September 2018, Emperors' Palace, Johannesburg, South Africa. en_US
dc.description.abstract A key challenge in rural South Africa is providing social facilities such as clinics. This is difficult due to the nature of settlement distributions, especially in traditional authority areas. Geospatial accessibility analysis can help find suitable locations for facilities to serve the inhabitants. Settlements in South Africa’s traditional authority areas often do not meet the minimum thresholds required for specific social facilities, therefore determining the best location can be daunting. This study applied a geospatial accessibility approach to primary health care clinics in the Mbizana Local Municipality in the Eastern Cape Province. The results of this accessibility analysis identified suitable locations to build the eight clinics that were proposed in the municipality's Integrated Development Plan for 2015-2016. We calculated facility catchments using approximate road-based travel distances to the nearest facility within the municipality. Two types of catchment area analysis were performed: one included distance and capacity constraints and the other excluded them. The unconstrained analysis showed that only 36% of the population is situated within the service reach of 5km. This decreased to 33% when distance and capacity constraints were considered. The remaining demand of 67% is significant, indicating high unsatisfied demand for additional clinics. Although the proposed eight clinics increased the overall accessibility to primary health care clinics, a large proportion of the population remains unserved, suggesting that more than eight clinics would be needed. The results of this analysis therefore also aim to support health care facility planning and distribution within the Mbizana Local Municipality. en_US
dc.language.iso en en_US
dc.relation.ispartofseries Worklist;21488
dc.subject Clinic en_US
dc.subject Catchment area analysis en_US
dc.subject Geospatial accessibility en_US
dc.subject GIS en_US
dc.subject Primary health care en_US
dc.title Geospatial accessibility analysis of primary health care clinics in the Mbizana local municipality in the Eastern Cape en_US
dc.type Presentation en_US


Files in this item

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record

Search ResearchSpace


Advanced Search

Browse

My Account